Blog this! What? Why? ------ I have NO idea what I'm doing blogging. It is entirely possible that this shall remain a private journal because it's not very likely that I'll ever give anyone the url. But just in case, I guess I'll make this small intro.
For the past several years I've been on an exploration of who I am and why. Mid-life crisis? Development? Growth? Spiritual awakening? Who knows! Shockingly,
over time I've come to enjoy writing, something I hated with a passion in school.
And so, I am creating this blog.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

a sing along


Sometimes it's a lyric, sometimes a tune or rhythm, often the connection is not immediately clear to me. However, when the songs filter up I know for certain that there is a reason, a good reason, it is not a random event. It's been happening, I think, forever but I used to be more distractable and my doubt, louder. In the past if I noted them at all, I found them interesting, but I could never even begin to make myself believe these most obvious of clues.

Only about a year ago did I start taking this resource seriously. A little bird energized my thoughts on the matter last spring but I wasn't truly on board, until dead-girl drew my attention back. One afternoon about a year ago, she suggested that I had chosen the wrong lyric with which to embellish a piece of artwork I had made. It was a silly little bit of digital photo manipulation I'd done on vacation. It held special meaning and memories for me and it linked me to the night I first met her (in a dream in the trunk of a car). When she threw in her 2cents worth, it didn't take much reflection for me to see that her song was the better choice. She was right, ha ha, dead right! (No, she doesn't find the pun funny, but I do :)

Nowdays when the song traces come I take the time to follow them. I try to consider who is speaking or who is being spoken to. More often than not there's deep meaning, and multiple connections to the lived moment. The lyric or the song's attitude fits with what's been going on for me. I believe that some part of me recognizes (monitors?) the emotional landscape ongoing within each moment, and it has access to all the music filed away in my brain. This part of me, this voice inside me that loves music so, is offering me truths, points to ponder.

To not pay attention would be a waste.

That afternoon dead-girl sang,
"sing out sing out, the silence only eats us from the inside out"

And often these days, I'm telling the whole freakin' world, Hey!
"it's not like I got a bunch of bodies in my trunk"

And I think the universe has been trying to warn husband.... and me.... and maybe dead-girl too,
"you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside baby"

Last night as I was saying my goodbyes at the meditation center, bam, this line came soaring through my mind - "I wanna know what love is, I want you to show me". I walked to the car thinking, "Oh good grief! What 80's band schlock rock hit was that? And why is it in my head, now? Sounds like a falling in love song! Eeeww! Him? No! yuck. I mean, sure, seems like a nice sentiment and all but I only know the song cause it was over-played on the radio. It's not a song I was ever attached to. So wtf?"

Stuck humming it all day today I had the tune down pat but could only come up with a few more words. My emotional impression was simply that it was an over the top rock power ballad. Thank goodness for google! I finally did a lyric search and you know what? That is one beautiful song!! And I can see its timing was not accidental. It fit perfectly with how I've been feeling overall about life lately. And more importantly it resonates with my contributions to our post-meditation conversation.
Once again I'm marveling at the magic in music.

Hmmmmmmmm :) a Far Side cartoon just came to mind. A guy stranded on a desert island is holding a magic lamp. The genie is waiting with arms crossed. The guy is scratching his chin thinking hard, "Well, let's see --- so far I've got rhythm and I've got music..... Actually who could ask for anything more?" :DDD

No comments: